Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Krystal Aguilar - Week 9 - Stop Motion Animation Video

Krystal Aguilar - Week 9 - Stop Motion Video
Artist: Daniel Ojanlatva
Link: http://vinebox.co/u/wydVdVo6Jzu/wsqseCkIzPl
Other videos: http://vinebox.co/u/wydVdVo6Jzu

For this Internet research, I chose a popular Internet and mobile tool that enables its users, even brands, to inspire, create and share stop motion animation. “What is this revolutionary and technological tool?” you may ask. My friends, you may or may not be surprised, the tool is Vine. Yes, the latest and hippest social media craze where people can “Follow” accounts, similarly to Twitter. If you haven’t heard about it let me briefly explain.
Vine is accessed through an app that is downloaded on a mobile device. The user is allowed a maximum of six seconds to record. Although, CNET’s videographer argues that it is really six and a half seconds, “Vine works out to six seconds and 14 frames, played at 28.77 frames per second.The recording of the Vine, or 6-second video, is simply done by pointing the cell phone at what is wished to be recorded, and pressing the touch-sensitive record button. Then the person taps “Done” then the “Share” button on their cell phone and it is posted onto their profile.
I love that because of Vine’s entrance as an innovative marketing platform, brands were and are, forced to become goal-oriented artists. Also, Vine has given everyday people from various backgrounds and professions, from comedians to scientists, the freedom to create entertaining and informative videos. Since Vine has a time limit, the usage of stop motion animation techniques and forms are prominent. I have witnessed cut-paper, puppet, clay, object and pixilation animation. I even see Vines that use a combination and new kinds of animation that I don’t even know what to call. Such is the case with Daniel Ojanlatva. I was most impressed for his ability to think out-of-the-iPhone. He incorporates and collaborates different kinds of animation so cohesively; all while, delivering entertainment value and even call-to-action messages within the lapse of a few seconds. You must watch his Vine titled, “Continue from last save Y/N?”. Take a breath, this is going to get complicated: he records a video recording that is on a cell phone which looks like it’s interacting with inanimate objects, a string and the cell phone itself. These come to life and move according to the actions of the person, (most likely Daniel himself) within the video recording. It is object animation (the in-class example of the Weismann’s picnic) because the cell phone and string seem to move. I argue and inquire, is it pixilation animation (where people look like they are moving) as well? The man in the video looks like he is moving but in reality, Daniel has to perfectly synchronize pressing and un-pressing the recording button. Also I don't know exactly how he adds audio into the Vine. Perhaps the video is just a video, not a person. I also highly recommend watching his drawing and object animation video called, “I dunno, a fish I guess.”




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, I feel honored!
    I'd like to point out that this technique where you mix what seems to be moving images and stop motioned objects was first done in King Kong 1933.
    What I've done is to trick people into thinking they are watching a recording on the phone, they are not. It is in fact a (long) series of photographs and not a film clip. So I'm changing image on the phone for each shot. It takes a while but not as long as deleting all the images from the phone afterwards.
    Audio is added at the same time I'm recording. Either it's a background sound I'm playing on the computer or me making silly noises.

    (In King Kong they projected a filmed sequence of a person frame by frame while moving Kong between shots)

    But the important question is still; did I find this blog while googling myself? ... Yes...
    ..yes I did

    Best
    Daniel Ojanlatva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Indeed, that is the important question. Thank you for enlightening me on the magic you have mastered. Who knew that black and white films did this? ... well, you did. haha

      Delete