Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Krystal Aguilar - Vector Graphics and Representation - Week 6

Krystal Aguilar - Vector Graphics and Representation
Charles Williams - Illustrator




These vector images are supposed to represent racecar drivers. I chose these images specifically because of the illustrator, Charles Williams', indirect approach of portraying these thrill-seeking men and their careers.

Charles Williams derived his influence from the men's history, car designs, a steering wheel and other car-racing elements. He also decided to keep one common, representative element - the circle. Williams wanted the portrait to be abstract. Certainly some pieces do invoke a sense of deciphering from spectators. I had to do really absorb and dive into the image to see his representative cues. I found the "wheels" visual for the first image, car in the second, semi-circle and helmet in the third, and the fourth racetrack-like figures.
When I first saw these images I had no idea that they were particularly representing racecar drivers until after I read the article. I think it is more artistic this way but again, does it relay the article's concept - "racecar drivers and what they would do if that wasn't their career". The ambiguity of them not knowing I think relays in their stare or the shapes that make up their stare. I see the paths that loop erratically yet in an orderly fashion. This really embodies who these men are or were - wild but in the same path that we are all in life. Their career is their life. The media only represented the fame and glory of them. The reality is they are built up of different shapes as Williams showed. I discern that we are all in this circle with them and have circles of our own. The circle of a day and the circular pattern of our own self-reflections. We can steer and "go around the track" finding out that we made the same mistake twice, or, asking ourselves, "Am I headed the right way?" All in all, the ambiguous representation of these men has a benefit and that is the ability to relate to the uncommon man.

No comments:

Post a Comment